Caritas Zambia is a Catholic Organisation under the auspices of the Zambia Episcopal Conference (ZEC). It exists to animate the work of two Commissions, Catholic Commission for Development (CCD) and the Catholic Commission for Justice and Peace (CCJP). Both Commissions are linked to a network of international Catholic structures. The CCD to Caritas Internationalis and CCJP to the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace. The Commissions are also part of regional structures in Africa such as AMECEA.
The mandate of Caritas Zambia is to foster and uphold human dignity through promotion of integral human development. The organisation thus engages in the programmes of conscientisation in order to awaken God’s people to a deeper understanding of their calling as Christians with regard to social justice. In addition, Caritas Zambia forms a critical conscience that empowers people to challenge and act to overcome unjust situations in national governance. Further, it is within the remit of the organisation to promote development as a process of liberation from constraints of ignorance, poverty, disease, oppression, exploitation and injustices so that people become masters of their own lives. Caritas Zambia is present at all levels where the Catholic Church is, starting from single families, Small Christian Communities, parishes regional and National. The work of Caritas Zambia is based on Gospel values and the CATHOLIC Social Teaching.
VISION OF CARITAS ZAMBIA
“A Zambian society where every person is free to fully attain integral human development and live in harmony.”
MISSION OF CARITAS ZAMBIA
“Caritas Zambia is a faith based organisation inspired by the gospel and catholic social teachings and dedicated to the promotion and protection of human dignity and sustainable development for the people of God especially the less privileged through witnessing, animation, conscientisation and institutional strengthening.”
Caritas Zambia has defined organisational values which act as guiding principles in the implementation of the interventions of the strategic plan. The values are as follows:
1. Respect for human dignity – Caritas Zambia endeavours to treat every human being with compassion and respect;
2. Justice and solidarity with the poor – we strive to create an environment where the poor can claim and demand their rights;
3. Accountability and transparency - we are committed to prudent stewardship of resources among ourselves and the people we serve;
4. Respect for the environment – in everything we do, we endeavour to promote the integrity of the environment;
5. Gender equality and equity – we actively support women and men to have equal access to and control over productive resources and benefits as well as existing opportunities;
6. (Hard work) and commitment to the cause of duty –we remain duty bound for the improvement of people’s lives; and
7. Mutual trust and honesty - we have undivided belief and truthfulness in the way we relate to one another and in what we do.
STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES AND PROGRAMMES OF CARITAS ZAMBIA
1. By the end of 2013, Caritas Zambia and its Diocesan Partners will be efficient and effective in the delivery of programmes and execution of their mandate.
2. By 2013, Caritas Zambia will have promoted sustainable use of natural resources and influenced economic policies and reforms for the benefit of the poor and the vulnerable people.
3. By the end of 2013, targeted communities in all of the Dioceses will be empowered to participate and contribute to governance processes and to claim their rights.
4. By the end of 2013, targeted households in all the dioceses will be income and food secure and able to respond to disasters.
Kabulonga Road, Plot BRT6